Monday, July 29, 2013

Floating the Chena

Since last summer, I've wanted to canoe or kayak down the Chena River. The Chena flows right through our town and dumps into the mighty Tanana south of town near the airport. Last year it never worked out and for the past month I've been trying to figure out a time to go.

It finally happened! 

beginning of the trip

Tanna agreed to go with me and we set out about 8pm Saturday night. It was a beautiful evening for being on the river. We couldn't convince her brothers to go, so it was just the two of us. She was quite entertaining - giving ongoing commentary of the trip, talking to strangers on the bank or on bridges above us and trying to maintain her composure when a much larger boat would zoom by us creating large waves. :) 



chillin' while Tanna did all the work
Honestly, it was a slow float (ok, Jordan, you were right). We couldn't just float with the current most of the time or it would have taken us forever! The last time I was on the Chena was when I caught my first King Salmon (10 years old); been a while. And I don't go canoeing much. So it was a nice first-time-being-back-on-the-water float. Next time, finding myself a faster river! Should be no problem in Alaska. :) 






Not that I've forgotten, but the picture below reminds me how much I love Alaska! I may be slightly bias, but I've done a fair bit of traveling and Alaska sure ranks high in the most beautiful places of the world. 



finished! about 1045pm


7 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! Beautiful, Barrie!

    Tanna's a nut, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is! That's what makes being with her so much fun! ;) glad you enjoyed the pictures. It was an awesome night!!!

      Delete
  2. Looks awesome! I agree that Alaska is one of the most beautiful places ever. But I must say I'm still quite partial to TEXAS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess you can say that, since you are from TX. :) At least we agree on the first part.

      Delete
  3. Looks like y'all had a great time! Oh wait...that looks familiar :)! It twas a blast...natives and all! Even though you almost got hooked ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, grand times! Glad I didn't get "hooked" that day. ugh, can you imagine? haha

      Delete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)