Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Alone.... and Kindle!

ALONE.
What does that mean to you? 

For me, it means the past two days my ears have rang because of the silence that threatens to engulf me. At night, the dark and quiet closes in and reminds me that I am all alone. I may be living on the outskirts of a town with 3,000 other people, but there are only two Americans currently here. And the other isn't someone I would willingly chose to spend time with. 

I don't mind being alone. Reading, studying, tutoring and emailing have filled up much of my time. Besides the normal living, as in stoking the fires to stay warm and cooking food. But as much as I enjoy it, it is eerie. 

My Christmas presents from my family came a week or so ago. I had requested and received a Kindle! I love to read, but had refrained from getting a Kindle or Nook, because I prefer a real book. There is just something about having a book in your hands, breathing in the aroma of old paper and ink while living the experiences of another person during a different time. But I've realized this trip what a blessing a Kindle can be. While in Xinjiang we traveled with only backpacks for days. We had many hours in buses, but I couldn't  afford to bring any books. (besides my NT) One of my traveling companions had a Kindle with hundreds of reading options! I decided then and there, it was time to get one. 

Funny thing is, in order to add books to your Kindle library one must register the Kindle. No problem, except you need wifi to do so. Ugh, I am in the middle of Outer Mongolia! Wifi doesn't exist out here! All internet is dial up, so I can't connect and add books yet. The only books that came on the device are two different dictionaries. Now don't laugh, but at times I've taken to "reading" through parts of the dictionary. Hey, it's helping build my vocabulary! And it has been helpful also while studying, I can easily look up a definition when I want a better explanation of a word. 

Just to reassure y'all. While I may be humanly "alone," I am not truly alone. My Lord has never left me. And my time with Him has been sweet. 
God is good!

Oh, one more thing.... 
I just want to say "GO NANOOKS!!"
Our college hockey team, University of Alaska Fairbanks Nanooks have won the past six games! They are now #20 in the nation in Division I College Hockey. I may be thousands of miles away and not able to attend any games this season, I'm still cheering them on. I've been able to listen online to a couple of their games and have enjoyed it immensely. 


1 comment:

  1. Catching up on internet right now...my friends and I used to read the dictionary sometimes at school just to learn new words haha. And I like to use "ya'll" sometimes too =)
    Hope you are doing well. Enjoy the silence, right now all I want is a quiet, dark bedroom to go catch up on sleep!I'll email you back soon! Leaving the school (and internet)now...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)