Saturday, December 1, 2012

All in a Day's time...

Last night, we went to a Hindi wedding of a girl that my friends know. It was very different than an American wedding. Actually what we went to was more like the reception - one BIG party. The ceremony I guess took place after most of the guests left and just the closer family members were there. I didn't get a whole lot  of pictures, but here are a few. Though you won't truly know what it was like, cause you can't hear the constant LOUD music that was played the majority of the time. 


These people with the lights are leading the way to the party. 


Since it was a Hindu wedding, there was many rituals the groom had to take part in. The groom is seated across from the priest (in orange). There are also two other priests gathered there with the older men of the bride and groom's families. They do some weird chanting and various rituals before the bride and groom get together at the reception. 

the Bride (in red and gold)

groom and bride


There is a time that any of the guests who want to can have their picture taken with the bride and groom. So, here our group is with them. Only down side - now countless young Indian guys have my picture.... since they all stood there taking pictures as well. 
By the way, that's normal. I've had complete strangers ask me to take a picture with them. Or they don't ask, but they just take one of you anyways. And they think I don't notice? But then again, I take pictures of people all the time. :) 

Today we stopped at McDonald's while out on our day excursion... thought you would enjoy some pictures from there.... notice carefully their menu. 



One of our stops today was the place where they claim Buddha preached his first sermon. Buddhists from all around the world come here to this special spot to pray to him. A 'gold' statue is inside and four monks were chanting while we were there. It's a shame that Buddha's first sermon was one of error and untruths. Now millions follow his teachings and because of that, they are blind and do not know the One True God. 



The "new" Buddha statue. The old completely golden statue was destroyed along with the temple when the Muslims came thru and conquered many hundreds of years ago. They rebuilt this temple in the 30's; the new statue is just painted gold. 


Yesterday afternoon I made myself a cup of this "comfort and joy" tea and enjoyed it with my traveling companion, Bruce the Moose. We sat and thought about our wonderful friends... such as the ones in the picture, the one who shared with me the tea and the other who 'introduced' me to Bruce. ;)
Course we thought of many others as well. That is one thing I'm thankful to have, is friends all around this beautiful, wonderful world! 
And blog readers too!! 
I enjoy telling my adventures, hope you enjoy reading about them. 


4 comments:

  1. I do enjoy reading about all your adventures! How Amazing that you get to visit so many mission fields! What an experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo cool that you got to attend an Indian wedding. How fun! And great pics too!
    Haha, I remember having lots of people take our pictures too. Once when we tried to get a group shot down at the tip of India, we all lined up with the ocean behind us and then noticed we had not just OUR photographer taking our picture, but a whole GROUP of Indians pulling out their IPHONES and taking our pictures! (It was so ironic to see people walking around barefoot, in a seemingly impoverished area, using iPhones!) We all just laughed that now a bunch of Indians had our photos as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to carefully notice the McDonalds board...i think i'm missing something...what is it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, TLF - the 2nd pic at McD's kinda gives ya a clue.... all you can order is chicken or fish. No hamburgers here!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)