Thursday, November 29, 2012

Diwali on the Ganges

Yesterday was Deep Diwali - another Hindu "festival of light," this one has more to do with the religious beliefs than the Diwali that occurred 15 days ago. I don't know much about it, the biggest difference I saw was less fireworks and crackers and more lights. We went down to the Ganges River and the steps were lined with tiny, rough earthen pots filled with oil, their flames flickering in the breeze. Thousands of lights. 



I don't know much yet about taking good pictures at night. If I use my flash, it lights up the entire photo and doesn't give you much sense of the actual darkness there is. So, I did some experimenting...
Still have lots to learn about the different exposures and shutter speeds. 


They even had fire throwers. One guy had a fire stick and then this young guy was juggling smaller ones. I'd be a little scared to try it. Don't like hot. :p bad memories of hot stuff.




1 comment:

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)