Monday, November 12, 2012

Life and Death

According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 
Philippians 1:20,21

These verses were part of a passage that was discussed the other night in a small group devotion. The question came up - "how does one magnify Christ with death?"
During our discussion, we agreed that if one is to portray God in their death, they must first magnify Him with their life. How one lives is a reflection of who they are and what they believe in their heart. It is no easy task to glorify the Lord every day, every moment of every day. It takes consecration and dedication. 
But when a faithful servant of the Lord dies - the focus of their life should be directed back to Christ. 
One's dying for Christ has more significance if their life also proclaimed Christ. 


Another thing I just thought of - we talk of dying to self. Putting the flesh in subjection and yielding to the Holy Spirit's direction. Isn't this a way of magnifying Christ through death? It is not a physical death, but death to our wishes, desires and ambitions. Isn't He glorified when we deny ourselves and yield to Him? 

I am reminded of Hebrews 11, when it says that "[Abel] being dead yet speaketh." Though Abel had been dead for thousands of years, his life still speaks to us because of his actions and response to God's commands. I too, want to live in such a way, that Christ is magnified in my life and one day in my death as well. 


Just recently I visited the Great Wall of China. It is the only man-made structure that can be seen from space. Built hundreds of years ago, it still stands as a monument to a people and kingdom from long ago. 
I want my life to be like the Great Wall, in the sense that I want to stand strong for my Saviour. And even years after my death, when people remember my name they don't simply think of my crazy hair or loud laugh, but instead they say I lived for God. 

Just a thought for today. 


2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts and beautiful pictures! I love the fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)