Friday, December 7, 2012

the Ganges

"That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 3:10,11

One day this will be true. Every person that has ever lived, is living now and will be born in the future WILL confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. And in doing so will give glory to the only One who deserves glory. But for many, it will be too late. They will bow because they will then know that He is the True King, but they will have realized that after death. Because they did not accept His forgiveness, His payment, His gift in life they will spend an eternity separated from the True, Holy, Amazing, Loving, Merciful, Just Creator of the Universe. 

It doesn't matter if one lives in suburbia America, or in the jungles of the Congo, the mountains of Peru, a village in Mongolia or on the Ganges River, all must accept Christ and what He did for them for their self. But some have never heard! 

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"
Romans 10:14

A couple days ago, we went for a little boat ride on the Ganges River. It was a neat experience. I like rivers and enjoy being out on them. The Indians also like the Ganges, but for a very different reason. To them, it is a holy river (though it is extremely filthy river). They believe that by dipping in the Ganges, they can wash away their sins. But they must come back each year to dip again. 

the Ganges River

The river is lined with Ghats. A Ghat is a place where a priest will sit and the people can come there to sacrifice, pray or whatever else they do there. 

ghats line the riverbank

One of the ghats is called the Burning Ghat. This is because they burn the bodies of the dead there.  They believe in reincarnation, so the bodies are burned so they can be released into their next life. Fires are going around the clock and some have said that they have been burning bodies at that particular location for maybe 2,000 years. 

the Burning Ghat
I know this is a much more somber post, but I can't help but think of the millions of souls that live in this city alone. And the many more millions around this densely populated country that are lost, blind, without hope. Who will share with them the Truth of Jesus Christ? 
Who will share with their neighbors in America? 
Who will give the Gospel to their friends in other countries? 
Who?

setting sun

the sun sets on the Ganges

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, you can't help but think things like this when seeing the masses of India, huh? There are just SO many people everywhere there.
    On a side note, I love the quote on the sidebar of your blog - "Sometimes I have to remind myself that I don't have to do what everyone else is doing." Love it. At times it seems like there is so much pressure to get married, have kids, do all the "normal stuff" but in reality, we DON'T have to do that if we don't want to, or if God has other plans. Traveling the world is AWESOME and really getting out there and living life is too! Too many people settle for status quo in life and do what they think is expected of them and they never really get to experience much. So glad there are girls like you (and I) out there who aren't just sitting around doing nothing, but who are actually enjoying life! =) We have such an amazing world and so many amazing opportunities!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! when I found that quote, I knew I had to use it. :) sums up my life - the abnormal, outside the box, crazy even girl. I can't imagine sitting at home, waiting for my Prince Charming to show up. I'd rather be out conquering the world and meet him out there in some battlefield both fighting for Truth. And if I never meet, totally fine with me. I'll keep battling for the One Real Prince in my life who will never leave me!

      Delete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)