Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Life in Varanasi....

Just some random things about life here, so you can get an idea about what its like. :)
Much of this can also apply to other parts of India....

there isn't sidewalks, but instead a public restroom (men only)

pollution? nah, we don't have any.... what? the sky is supposed to be blue? 

men outnumber women, oh maybe 4 to 1

green peppers are called capsicum

your mascara changes from black to gray after a drive around town

the cool pattern on the walls is not what you think -
it's actually dying cow pies

during a 15 minute drive, your nose will be accosted by 100 different smells

staring is the favorite pastime - STOP STARING!!!!!

9 out of 10 people DON'T know how to drive properly

monkeys are NOT cute, they're annoying

if I had 1 dollar for every guy I've seen going to the bathroom on the side of the road, I could pay for my next trip

if you like the game of chicken, you're ready to drive here

you can fit 11 people in an auto (rickshaw)

shrines or temples on every street

eat curry just about every day

nodding your head "yes" is more of a head bobble

50 degrees is considered cold

traffic jams are many times caused by water buffalos

babies wear heavy eye liner

forget what green grass and trees look like and what fresh air smells like

brown dirt, trash, dirty

everyone knows how to fly a kite

holding hands (same gender) is JUST a sign of good friends

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, just reading this list took me back to India in my mind. =) I was smiling and nodding the entire time I was reading haha.
    So the whole "going to the bathroom on the side of the road thing"...after being in India and seeing that EVERYWHERE, on our way home we were walking through the airport, and saw a man standing at an ATM machine, and the way he was standing...our first thought was that he was going to the bathroom, IN the airport. At first I thought I was the only one who thought that, but then we all looked at each other and started laughing when we realized we had ALL had the same thought. We were like wow, we sure got accustomed to that in a short time, for our first thought to be that he was just going inside haha.
    The head bobble...that sure confused us at first, even though we KNEW it meant "yes," our brains still wanted to think they were saying "no" and so we'd find ourselves repeating things, thinking that they had said they didn't understand.
    Okay, I won't leave a comment about each item haha, but...the list did make me smile. India sure is an interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. So close to here! Can't stand the staring either! Lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)