Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rock Crossing

    Yesterday we drove the final miles back to civilization. Living in the "bush" for two weeks definitely gives you a greater appreciation for the finer things of life... such as a shower with good pressure, places to go without dirt, instant communication, etc. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Alaskan wilderness and Rock Crossing has a special place in my heart. Although we go out there to hold two weeks of camp for teenagers, it's a place for me as an individual to live in the quiet, commune with my Lord and set my priorities right again. It is truly a refreshing, renewing time for me. And God worked again....
   We spent the first weekend setting up and getting ready for the first week of camp. Its lots of hard work, but did have fun also. We went fishing that Saturday night and I finally caught my own fish after fishing there with no luck for the past five years! I caught two Northern Pike and had fun reeling them in and boy, did they taste good! The next day was Father's Day and we had quite the meal! Moose roast, goose with stuffing and pike! yum yum!
   Monday our first batch of campers arrived; this group came from several different villages across the state of Alaska. We had kids from Pt. Hope, Selawik, Ft. Yukon and Fairbanks/North Pole. We had an awesome week with those kids. Many of them were there for the first time and were so grateful to be at camp. God used Bro. Donley thru his preaching and He worked in many hearts. I was impressed with many of the teens spiritual maturity. I am greatly encouraged and will be praying for each of them as they to back home to their villages. The villages are a hard place to live right and be a true, steadfast witness for Christ. But 'greater is He that is in [us] than he that is in the world.' God is good and will strengthen those who yield themselves to Him.
   We had a nice relaxing break between the two weeks. God gave us beautiful sunny weather so we could do all the laundry and dry it outside on the line. We did some puzzles, read, fellowshipped with the other workers  and rested.
  Monday we started all over again... with a much larger group. Most of the teens the 2nd week were from Fairbanks (my church) and we even had some come all the way from North Carolina. Its a different atmosphere than village week, but still good. We had five people saved that week. I had the wonderful privilege of leading two girls to the Lord. Both girls knew what they needed to do, but I was just there to pray with them. There is absolutely nothing in the world like leading someone to the Lord. There is a sweetness, preciousness and awesomeness about seeing someone give their heart to God, ask for forgiveness and accept Him as their Saviour!
  God used that to reestablish priorities in my own heart and life. Tuesday night I went out to the boats with one girl and she prayed for salvation. My attitude that day was down and I knew I needed to pray and seek the Lord's face. I had to put that on hold when V came to the back and wanted to get saved. God showed me (again) that sometimes we allow the little and sometimes big things in life to get us discouraged. Things that we thing are a big deal, but everything pales when it comes to the salvation of souls. Our lives should be lived to bring glory to God in all that we do. There will always be trials to go through, but we shouldn't allow ourselves to get caught up in them, but to keep our eyes always on the Lord. 'Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you.'

PS. I don't have any pictures back yet from camp. Maybe next post will have some pics from this year. :)

1 comment:

  1. Actually we got back Sunday night, I'm a little late posting this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)