Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Beginning of my new life

This blog is an outlet for my stories while traveling. I’ve had some amazing and some crazy experiences while traveling. God has been good through it all! But the most amazing journey of my life is the one I share with my Lord and Saviour. It all started….

    when my family was transferred by the US Army to Ft. WW, Alaska. It had always been my dad’s dream to live in Alaska and he was thrilled. He immediately got involved in hunting and fishing the big game up here. After being here a few years, he met a guy who befriended him. This guy Bruce was a Christian and he had monthly meetings to teach about hunting/fishing techniques. My dad jumped on this and started attending, but Bruce would also give the Gospel at the end of each meeting.  Dad had no interest in that, he had his life and seemed to be enjoying it, but he kept going for the hunting info. After about a year and a half of hearing the Gospel every month, he knew he needed that in his life. Bruce had the wonderful privilege of leading my dad to the Lord on cold December.
  During those years, my mom had been taking my older brother and me to services at the Post Chapel. But they did not teach Salvation thru grace by faith. I enjoyed church, but don’t remember learning anything about the Bible. After my dad got saved, it was many months before my mom even knew. But as time went on the Lord was working.... My parents had been invited to two different Baptist churches by friends. We started attending both, one Sunday mornings and the other Sunday nights. A few months after picking just one of the churches to attend, my mom was saved! She was lead to the Lord by Bruce’s wife.
Interior Alaska 
  Though only six, I remember going to Sunday school each week and learning more about the Bible. I will never forget the first time I heard the story of David and Goliath. That was so incredible to me as a little girl. I don’t remember the first time I heard about Jesus dying on the cross for my sins, but God was definitely drawing me to Himself. Just two months after my mom trusted the Lord for salvation, I realized my need. It was after a Wednesday night church service. I asked my mom how to be saved. When we got home, she took me into her bedroom and read thru a cartoon style tract with me. I knew I was a sinner and couldn’t get to heaven on my own. I knew that Jesus was born in a manger and that He died on the cross. I knew that He died to pay for my sins and rose again the 3rd day. I don’t remember what I prayed, but I know He understood! That night, with my simple 6 year old child faith I trusted Christ for salvation. I ran off to bed happy.
  That was the beginning of my amazing journey with the God of the Universe! I’ve never regretted giving my heart to Him and He has always been so good to me even when I am not as close as I should be to Him and His Word.
Tanana River 
  When I was about 12 or so, we had several preachers  in a row at church that told how they had prayed a prayer when they were really young, but hadn’t really gotten saved until they were teenagers or older. That got under my skin. I thought, if these great preachers didn’t mean it when they prayed at 5 or 6 years old, than how could I have gotten saved at 6? I kept asking myself that for a few months. But one night I was lying in bed thinking about it. I thought to myself, this is dumb! I am me and not them! I know what I did back when I was 6. Yeah, I didn’t know all the doctrine and details about salvation back then, but I knew enough! From then on, I didn’t worry about it. God knows that I was as sincere as a little 6 year old girl can be. And I trust that He heard my call and saved my soul!
 
 It always thrills me when I think about how much God works and orchestrates people’s lives to bring them to Him. He took my dad all the way from South Dakota to Alaska so that he could meet someone who loved hunting/fishing as much as he did, but loved God even more and wasn’t afraid to witness for Him. God uses people to bring others to Him. Who has He placed in your life that He wants you to reach? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)