Sunday, August 31, 2014

Camping in Denali

After returning from Selawik and working feverishly for two days, I took time off to show my friends more of Alaska. I was extremely glad for some mornings to sleep in. We got a late start Thursday, but it was a nice day for a drive and we were just enjoying each other's company. Had intended to camp at Hatcher Pass, but we didn't make it that far. So we camped closer to home - in Denali! 

Road Trip!

For sixteen years, I had dreamed of eating at Lynx Creek Pizza in Denali. I had been there that long ago when my Grandma and two cousins visited. The memory of that delicious pizza stayed with me. Well, I visited again and was not disappointed! We were famished by the time we arrived in the Park, but even if we weren't it still would have been amazing! 
We joked about how no one in the Park is from Alaska. Even the majority of the workers are from out of state or out of country. We met people from Bulgaria, Serbia, Utah, Arizona, Maine, North Carolina, Louisiana and Michigan. And every once in a while you'd meet an Alaskan. 




We got our camp put it in a short amount of time. It was fun setting up the tents and getting all cozy. Tim made us a fire in no time and we cooked up some grub before hitting the sack. It was cold, but we were all toasty in our sleeping bags. The next morning was wet and drizzly, but we still had a grand time.

setting up camp

the Master Fire-Maker

I love cooking and even though over the campfire is a bit more challenging, it's still fun. Well, except for when the wind changes direction abruptly and sends smoke in my eyes. We had scrambled eggs, bacon, fried potatoes and coffee that morning. My sister told me an old cowboy trick about making the coffee and it worked. Thanks, Nan!

cooking

"washing" dishes

Our second night was supposed to get really cold and since Levi was developing a bit of a cold, it was decided it would be best if we got a hotel room for the night. No one likes being sick, but it's pretty miserable for a two month old. So, we had a good night's rest and then still cooked our breakfast over the fire the next morning. Steak with our eggs this time! Yum! 



Saturday morning was super clear. A bit windy and cool at first, but was a gorgeous day to continue our drive. We stopped several times to take pictures and just enjoy God's creation. I felt like a tourist at one point, when we saw two baby moose on the side of the road and the rest of the people in the van wanted to turn around and take pictures. They got their photos. 


in the Park

awesome travel companions

taking it all in

Since it was such a clear day, Mt. McKinley was clear as day. As we rounded one curve on the Parks Hwy, Bam! there it was. Standing tall and proud, miles above the surrounding mountains. Such a pretty mountain. We stopped a couple times to get pictures and just soak in the awesomeness. At one of our stops, Tim even got to meet an Alaskan State Trooper. 



I sure live in a beautiful state, don't I!?




1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! Yes, you do. =) But I hear AU and NZ are pretty too ;) [yes, that means come visit me, ha]

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)