Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Homesick?

Ever have one of those days when you're homesick? 

I do. Somewhat frequently. And its not for a place you would probably think I'd be homesick for. Truth be told, I've been homesick more in the US, than I am when I'm overseas. 

First time I lived away from home, I was in Arctic Canada and can remember just a handful of days of homesickness. Most of those occurred when I received bad news and wished to be home for my family and friends. Otherwise, my days were filled with loving where I was and making new friends and memories. 

The year after that found me in the vast remoteness of Outer Mongolia for seven months. Seven months in the dead of winter. And I can distinctly remember one day of homesickness during that time. That was my first Christmas not with my family and it didn't faze me one bit. Every day was an adventure and while I missed family and friends, homesickness was far from my mind. 

THEN God had me at home in the States for a while. At home. In my own country. Familiar culture. Language easily understood. With family I loved. Friends I enjoyed. And I was homesick!

Do I enjoy everything about Mongolia? Well, no. Some of their food, I still have a hard time eating. And being so sick you want to die while living in a ger with no running water, an outhouse 30 feet away, smelling animal fat cooking over the wood stove, all in the middle of winter, can't say that's really enjoyable. But for some reason, Mongolia has a very special place in my heart. I still count many of those months as some of the best times of my life. The people I've met, many are still close friends and others will always be a part of the memories of an awesome time of my life. 

And since that first time to NWT eight and a half years ago, I've traveled to several more countries. A few left a less favorable impression than others, but all have had some kind of impact on who I am today. So that, now when I at home in Alaska, I get waves of homesickness for a strange land with weird food, diverse climate, different language. 

Then there are those days when I get homesick for my Real Home, the one I haven't seen yet. Heaven. One word that encompasses SO much! Longing for the day, I'll meet Jesus face to face. Sit in His presence. Sing His praises. Hear Him audibly say my name. oooh, gives me the chills just to think of the Great, Awesome, all-Powerful Almighty Creator of the universe speaking my name! 

To be surrounded by those loved ones who are already with my Saviour. I'll see Michael again. And Denise. And Grandpa Jim. And so many others. I miss them. But the sure hope of seeing them again one day reminds to keep my joy and my smile. 

So when the homesickness hits, I remind myself to be grateful that there are places I miss. It means I've had a full life. Wonderful times remembered. Important lessons learned. Close friends made. Families formed. And one day, homesickness will no longer be in our vocabulary when we reach the other side of Jordan. 

Until then..... Embrace Life. Live to the Fullest. Even if that means accepting homesickness. 




1 comment:

  1. This kinda reminds me of a blog post I wrote the other day, on a very gloomy day here (after several gloomy days!) but haven't posted yet. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)