Sunday, October 27, 2013

Being Tourists in Seattle

Currently sitting in an Airport waiting for a bus... yes, you read that right, a bus. Many airports have bus terminals located in them also. This morning we were scheduled to leave at 930. We arrived at the airport at 938; yep, our bus wasn't kind enough to wait for us. :( No biggie, I confirmed we could get on the 1pm bus and now we sit and wait. 

Since being here, I've watched hundreds of people, kept an eye on a lady's bag, thought about moving the water man's cart of water jugs when he walked away, received a compliment on my hair, was asked to donate to a charity, talked to my friend (and traveling partner). Been grand. 

Yesterday was a fun, long, slightly cool day around town. We took the metro into downtown Seattle. First stop was the Original Starbucks. Have to say it was THE best pumpkin spice Latte I've ever had. AND it was actually extra hot, like I requested. From there we strolled through Pike's Place Market. Just a normal day, watched some fisherman throw whole fish around while singing. That was legit.

It was a bit cool, breezy and foggy. I kept hoping it would warm up, since I had worn my flip flops. But alas, it never did. oh well. We sauntered down to Pioneer Square, where we went on an tour of the Underground city of Seattle. The original city of Seattle lies 15 feet under where it is today. That fifteen feet is the difference of sea level. They used to have major flooding problems, which  is compounded by the use of outhouses in the 1850s. Glad I didn't visit back then. So, after the fire of 1889 burned the city to the ground, they decided to raise it up past sea level. The original sidewalks were never filled in, thus today you have the "underground." Quite interesting.

For lunch, we grabbed some chowder. I tried some Seafood Bisque, that was AMAZING! I never had anything like it and was a little uncertain about it, but it was an excellent choice. We made it up the Space Needle in time to see the city in daylight, watch the sunset and see the city lights at night. Perfect time of the day. :)

Long day, but we got a lot accomplished. Twas fun!

outside Pikes Place Market

at Pioneer Square

old bank under the city of Seattle

daytime view from Space Needle

sun setting

sunset 

Seattle city lights

I <3 Traveling

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to my state! Looks like you had a good time in Seattle. I've never been underground. I'll have to do that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! Where in WA are you? You can email me if you don't want to write it here. :) barrie_greenfield @ yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. Wow, how cool that looks with all the clouds rolling in!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)