Saturday, April 13, 2013

Back in America!

Welcome Home. 

I do believe those are the sweetest words in the English language. I had been dreaming about going through Customs in Seattle and how the customs agent would say that to me... Alas! He did not. He only said "have a good day." I was mighty disappointed, but several good friends made up for it when I arrived in Texas later that day. 

day I left Asia

So, yes I am back in America. I landed last Tuesday in Seattle where I immediately experienced reverse culture shock. It's amazing how much you take for granted, until you leave for a length of time and then come back.... One of the first things I noticed was the friendly people! I had some baggage guys joking around with me when I dropped my bag back off. Complete strangers and we were laughing together. Being able to understand everything going on around me was a little confusing honestly. Wasn't able to tune out all the conversations like I had been when it was just jibberish to me. 
 The amount of white people surrounding me was a little hard to get used to. And NO ONE stared at me when I walked by! that was kinda nice. :) 

Dropped down to Texas for a couple of days and saw some amazing friends! A few of them I had seen during my Asia Adventures. But we gathered together with some other friends and had 2 days of laughter, stories, late nights, food and games. Jet lag hit me hard this time and with being so busy, up so late, etc, that a week and a half later I'm still trying to recover from it. I've had a few nights when I didn't sleep at all. Because of the sleeplessness, I've also been battling headaches. But honestly, those few days with godly friends was what I needed and wouldn't have traded them for sleep filled nights. 
God is good.

amazing friends!
  
1st BBQ back in America

1 comment:

  1. Reverse culture shock isn't something I had been thinking about...I wonder what it will feel like to be back in the US when I get there in 5 weeks... Of course I won't have been gone as long as you have been! But it will be interesting to see what it's like to, as you said, be able to understand all the convos around me, not get stared at, etc. It's funny you mention white people because here in Russia most everyone is "white" but when I go back to Cali, most everyone WON'T be white, lol. Ahhh...can't wait to get some good Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)