Friday, September 25, 2015

Relaxing before the Grind

My time in the Canadian Arctic was a blessing. It was a great couple of weeks to relax and unwind after a summer of working long days, and before a crazy semester of college. It is always a huge blessing to be with my Canadian family and friends. With nothing on my agenda for days, I could read, or watch movies, or stay up late talking, and even sleep in! 
And as well, got to enjoy some more of God's great creation. 

I am so thankful that 10 years (wow, how time does fly by!), I had the incredible opportunity to spend a winter living in Inuvik. It was my first time living away from home and looking back, wow, I really was clueless about a lot of things. Still amazes me that the D's welcomed me into their family and ministry when I was so rough around the edges (immature?). But that was a refining time in my life and God taught me SO much! 


dear friend/travel buddy K

Canadian sis

One of my favorite things to do in Inuvik is cooking out on the back porch. The fire pit going, tea steeping, yummy food to enjoy and then S'mores! :D As Mr. D says- there's just something about sitting in the fresh air and letting your worries and cares drift up with the smoke of the fire. Refreshing. The colors were still spectacular that night. After that though, the weather turned ugly. 




s'mores!
 Also, got to fly over to Aklavik for a couple days. Almost didn't think we would make it out, since the weather was pretty rough. We got word they were flying, and headed out almost immediately for the airport. 
So, glad I was able to go. While there, they had a ladies meeting at church. Several women have been saved recently and they gave their testimonies. It was one of those indescribable, spiritual-connection times, when God is praised and hearts are uplifted/encouraged. 

welcome to the AK Airport
Missed having C, M and A around. No one to be crazy and silly with, or stay up late watching movies or to take me for a (cold) boat ride. Something about life moving forward, people getting married, going to college, etc. that changes things. But of course, still enjoyed my time with the Mr. & Mrs. :) 





always new little friends


and the crazy old friends

1 comment:

  1. Hello Barrie!
    Looks like you had a fantastic time. :)
    I would love to go to Alaska sometime. (I saw the url of your blog so that's why I added that. :)
    I hope you check out my blog and please follow by email. creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com
    I hope you also check out my crochet shop. I just added scented shell candles! :D ashleysyarnworks.blogspot.com
    Love in Christ,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)