Saturday, September 5, 2015

Once in a Blue Moon

I don't know how many times I've used the phrase "once in a blue moon." This July there was an actual blue moon. Though I don't know why it is called that, since the moon isn't actually a different color, it just means that there are two full moons in one month. Guess it doesn't happen very often. Well the day of the blue moon, I actually had a once in a blue moon time. :) 

A coworker of mine has his pilot's license and we've talked for a couple years now about him taking me flying. We almost went last year, but something broke on his aircraft, so we had to postpone it. Every time he would text me, I had other plans and couldn't go. But one evening in July, he texted me and I was able to go! I met him at his plane and we took off into sunny skies. It was a perfect evening for a flight. He asked if I wanted to fly over my house or go south across the river looking for moose. Of course I choose the latter. I lost count how many moose we saw. It so amazing to see these amazing animals in their own environment. After the first couple moose, I started praying that we would see a bear. Moose are cool and all, but a bear would be so much more awesome! Not long after my silent prayer, we came upon a black bear. We swooped down to have a closer look and he stared up at us and watched as we flew by. So awesome! It was a perfect ending to a hectic week. 

two bull moose watching a cow

the Super Cub we flew

Tanana River

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I'm still bummed that I've been to Alaska 3 times and never seen a bear, and several people I know who have gone once got to see bears. =( I have this dream that someday I will come visit you in Alaska and we will take a roadtrip of epic proportions around the state haha. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, come back to Alaska! but we'll have to make that an epic road/plane/boat trip in order to get around the entire state. :D

      Delete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)