Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Climax of Scripture

Recently, my brain has been a whirlwind trying to maintain order of all my school assignments, travel arrangements, scheduling of the summer, getting ready for AWG (more info. on that later), staying busy at work, etc. Whew, that's tiring just typing/thinking about it! 

In the midst of so much chaos and activity, I love the blessings God gives. With my English class the past few weeks, I've been brushing up on the fundamentals and structure of literature. Relearning about the plot, setting, characters, theme and literary devices within a story. My teacher has pointed out that each author is the creator of his fictional work. He or she determines what needs to be included into the story and nothing is there by accident. Everything has a reason, even little details and descriptions. He equated it to the author being the "god" of the story. Every plot has a climax, the conflict of it's characters reaching that one pivot point in the narrative that ultimately has the potential of changing the ending.

Couple days after that English review, I was reading in Mark 15 about the trial and crucifixion of Jesus. I came to verse 38. Here was the climax, the pivot point. Now the Bible isn't a fictional story book, it is the true, accurate account of God's creation of earth and mankind, man's sin and God's redemption plan for sinful man. But with all those English aspects of stories flowing through my brain, I couldn't help but connect the two. God's perfect, amazing story of love summed up within one verse. 

Mark 15:38 - And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

That verse may not seem like much to you, but when I read it, it jumped out at me. This is the climax of the incredible story of God's love for us humans. You see, the veil in the temple separated man from God. Beyond that huge, thick veil was the Holy of Holies where the Ark of the Covenant and during the ancient days of Israel where God was said to dwell. That veil symbolized the disconnect between us and God. Only one person was allowed past that veil in the temple and only once a year. When Jesus died on the cross, God tore the magnificent veil separating us from Him in half! He was telling us, that no longer would we have to offer sacrifices and go to a priest to get our sins forgiven and to know Him. We could now freely come into His presence! As Hebrews says, we can come boldly into the throne room of God, we do not need a priest to intercede for us. Jesus Christ paid our sin debt with His life, thereby allowing us free access to Almightly God. 

I'm thankful for even English classes, because it has made me recognize in Scripture that I would otherwise pass right over. And even more thankful for God's amazing, abundant love for me that He would choose to die in my place!!

1 comment:

  1. :) I love this!!!!!! I always want to shout and get so full of excitement when I think of the tearing of the veil! thanks for this awesome post

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)