Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hockey, hockey and more hockey

The past few weeks have been full of hockey. At one point, was on the verge of too much hockey. I know, hard to believe for an Alaskan, right? Couple weekends ago, we (UAF Nanooks) played Ferris State, who was at the time ranked #2 in the nation. Though they were #2 and we aren't ranked, we swept them, winning both Friday and Saturday night. It was pretty awesome. Saturday was Skate with the Nanooks, so stuck around since the others wanted to skate and get pictures. Might as well get in on the pictures, eh? 

w/ G. Perry #12

Sarah and "her man" - J. Tateson #2

The weekend after that, I was in the states for a friend's wedding, because of which, I had to miss the Governor's Cup. :/ Normally the only time we play Anchorage is for the Governor's Cup, because we have been in different conferences. This year, things were switched up and we are now in the same conference; for the Cup we played UAA four times instead of the normal two. Course, this was all while I was States, so I wasn't able to be there. :( but I did listen to the radio and watch part of the games on the internet. Friday we did great, beating UAA 7-2! Kunyk got a Texas Hat trick (four goals in one game)! We split the series, each winning two games, so the winner was determined by a shootout. Which we won! Five years in a row, we've won the Gov. Cup.

Friday's game against our arch rival UAA

Since I had to miss the Gov. Cup, decided my time in Chicago could be put to good use by going to my first NHL game! Blackhawks were scheduled for a home game against the Columbus Blue Jackets. For sure, it's better hockey, but totally different atmosphere! I'm used to watching my home team with three to four thousand other fans, not twenty thousand! That arena is huge. Not the greatest to go by oneself either, but hey, when you travel by yourself, it's the way it is. It was a good game, Blackhawks winning 6-1. Awesome experience. Can't wait for next time; will just bring a friend along in the future.

United Center - Blackhawks Win!

at the Blackhawks game (by myself)

The next night, I took some young friends to another hockey game, this time in Peoria. It was a semi-pro game. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. Wasn't really a good game. But the kids enjoyed it. I was just enjoying the time with them. :)

w/ Julia and Seth at the Peoria Rivermen game

Back at home the next weekend, for the first week of the WCHA playoffs, where we faced UAA once again. This year instead of playing them the normal two games, we played Seven! For the playoffs, it is best of three. It had to go to the third game..... which we lost. :( We fought hard, but it just didn't happen. We had several out with injuries, so that had some effects. It was intense that final third period. I had worked all day and was very tired and hungry during that game. The excitement of that game was almost too much for me to handle. Haha. I've always enjoyed hockey, but this year I've really gotten into it. It was a disappointment to lose. We did have some crazy plays and scores though! Still don't know how Parayko's second goal Saturday night went it the net. He had his back to the net and there were several people between him and the goal, but he shot and scored! 

So, now our season is over. Have to wait six months until Nanook hockey starts back up. Gonna miss our three seniors - Beck, Kunyk and Quinn. All three excellent players - wish them the best in the days ahead.

w/ the 3 seniors - #37 #6 #36

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)