Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Good Morning Denver!

Welcome to Denver! 

I had the chance to fly down to Denver for a few days, so I jumped at it! I really don't how to explain my fascination with traveling, airports, etc. I sit in an airport and I just LOVE it. Even with all the chaos, craziness, lost luggage, delayed flights, etc, I still can't seem to get enough of it. 

I arrived in Denver just in time to catch the sunrise Thursday morning. I have to say Colorado is similar to Alaska in the fact that they have beautiful skies - huge clouds set against high mountains, with lots of gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. I love clouds, so I enjoyed seeing the Colorado skies! 

Sun rises over Denver

One thing I was really looking forward to in Denver was the chance to eat more ethnic food! Here in Fairbanks, we have lots of Thai, Chinese and Korean food places.... but we lack some of the best! I like Mediterranean food and some Indian foods and sadly, we don't have much in that department. Thursday for lunch I ate at the Yak and Yeti Restaurant! It was a buffet, so I was able to choose a good variety of Indian, Tibetan and Nepali foods. Yum! And on Friday, I had Shwarma. mmm mmm

@ Yak & Yeti 

like my name correction? :) 

I stopped off in Colorado Springs for almost a whole day. Didn't think I'd get to see Lance this time around; he's a senior this year at the Airforce Academy and is very busy. But he texted me that morning and we were able to meet up for a couple hours that afternoon. I got my "real" tour of the campus! Last time I was there, it was in the evening and everything was closed for the day. The Chapel is impressive architecturally! 

Airforce Academy Chapel

The second half of my stay in Colorado I went north of Denver to see some dear friends! I attended Judah and Heather's wedding two years ago and hadn't seen them since. I was able to spend some great time with them, along with meeting their new little man, Jude! 
I taught Judah when he was a freshman in high school; I lived with his family in Mongolia for a winter... that was a great year! :) It was pretty funny when he introduced me to some of his friends and he told them I was his teacher when he was fourteen. They all kinda looked at me, like "how is that possible?" Judah and I look about the same age, so it takes some people by surprise. :) 

baby Jude

A first for me this past weekend was running (okay, walking) a 5k. I've always wanted to run one, but I'm not there yet... But I did walk it with Heather and Jude. It was great to fellowship with Heather while getting some exercise. It was killer hot that morning, the sun was intense! 

after the 5k

It was a good, restful weekend. I am thankful I got a short break.... especially since I'm working nights the next few weeks (along with my normal work). 

2 comments:

  1. My Dad works at the Denver Airport on the weekdays and comes home on the weekends!

    You got to see Lance? No fair! :)
    I haven't seen him in like 2 years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I didn't know your dad works out of the Denver Airport. I could have seen him!

      Yeah, I didn't think I'd get to, but glad I did. Been 2 years since I had seen Lance also. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)