Monday, September 12, 2016

When Dreams Change

As a young child, I had many dreams and ambitions for my adult life. There were so many ideas and options, how would I ever choose? I dreamed of being a pilot, contemplated a paramedic career, fantasized about a Federal agent or spy vocation, thought about novel writing, considered joining the military, and many other occupations. One dream stood above the rest; I always imagined that regardless of what vocational path I choose, I would be a mother first and foremost. For a while, I even thought having 12 kids would be awesome. (not sure where that idea came from) :p

During that time, looking ahead at life, I was sure by the time I was 30 years old, I would be married and be raising four or five kids. My life would be secure and I would be happily serving God somewhere by my husband’s side.


Now at 30 years of age, I look back at life and wonder at all the amazing things God has allowed me to do. None of those particular childhood dreams have come to fruition, yet I have been blessed beyond measure and would not change any of it.

Not only has God blessed in ways I never dreamed of, but he has slowly, surely changed my desires and given me new ones. I am not a pilot, yet I have traveled to 40+ US states and flown to 20+ countries. I am not a paramedic, but at one time completed an EMT-basic course and used my skills to splint broken fingers and “fix” sliced toes. I have yet to write a novel, but am a blogger. I do not belong to a branch of the US Armed Forces, but I am in the Lord’s Army, fighting for the cause of Christ. And though I am not a mother, over the years, God has placed all kinds of people in my life for me to love. I want to love people, encourage them spiritually and challenge them intellectually. As a child, I assumed one day I would be a mother and would be able to pour my passion for people into my own children. However, that was not God’s plan, BUT I have such a unique opportunity to dispense love to so many.

Looking ahead, I never would have guessed at all the places God directed me to, or imagined the incredible people He would allow me to meet. Yet, here I am, not where I thought I would be, but with extreme gratitude for all my past experiences and friendships. And an excitement fills my heart at the unknown path stretching before me. I may not know what the next 30 years holds, but my God, who knows me better than I know myself, has my future in His hands.




5 comments:

  1. Hi Barrie! I love your acceptance and joy in where God has you even though it's different from what you expected. Love that you're not bemoaning the fact that you're not married. I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff B. Your love for Christ and people always shows through in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love ya so very much!!!!!! Proud of how you are "allowing God" to do HIS will in and through your life!!!!! Mama D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! Wayne was just laying here next me not knowing what I was reading and when he saw your pic he said, "Go back, is that Barrie?" After I said yes, he says," I love Barrie, I want to marry Barrie❤️."
    I enjoy reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see how you are living your life to the fullest for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)