Saturday, September 17, 2016

Fall Time in Interior Alaska

Went for a hike yesterday. Actually, it was more of a walk, than a hike, as it was pretty level ground, but it was beautiful. I missed about two weeks of our fall time since I was traveling in the states. Down in the Lower 48, it was still very much summer weather, with lots of sunshine, hot temps and rain. Meanwhile I was missing the majority of our autumn, as it is a very short season. Monday night when I stepped out of the airport terminal to walk the short distance to my car, I could smell the rich, loamy scent of Alaskan fall. It is like no other smell I've ever encountered, uniquely all its own. I knew I had to get out in the woods before it gets too cold. 

So, my plan was to go out Friday morning, but I woke to pouring rain. Grrr, while I like rain, this is not pleasant, warm rain, but miserably cold rain. But by 2pm, the skies had cleared and I thought I'd better go instead of waiting until the next day, since there was no guarantee it wouldn't rain again. (we've had so much rain this year!!)

I drove about 40 miles from my house and set out. It was a bit mucky and muddy in places, but was so amazing to be out in the quiet of the forest/tundra. The trail I went on had a rough boardwalk for most of the way. And believe me it was necessary! I could have worn water boots, then I could have set out on my own path through the tundra, but one step off the boardwalk with my sneakers and I quickly jumped back. The ground was pretty waterlogged. 

I was on the lookout for bears, but didn't see any wildlife while walking. Though I did see a baby moose on the drive home later. The brilliant fall colors are pretty dull by this point, but it was still beautiful. My God sure is an amazing artist! Maybe not this year, but I will be going back to that particular trail, as I only did the 3 mile loop and there is a 15 mile one. 

Always refreshing to be out in the quiet, alone. No cell phone, no music, no talking, just me and the Lord. Though I wouldn't mind a hiking partner sometimes. Anyone want to come visit and go hiking with me!?





1 comment:

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)