Friday, April 15, 2016

The Mountains Called...

Last time I was in Xinjiang, we had wanted to go to the Nan Shan mountains for a day trip, but I wasn't able to make it. My friends went after I flew out, as they were there for an extra couple days. They said it was amazing and ever since then, I've wanted to go. Last week, we made a plan to go and I'm so glad it worked out. The day was beautiful for hiking in the mountains and we enjoyed our time out there. Well, I did at least and I think everyone else did as well. It was a little cool with the wind, but the sun was shining and the sky was clear. 

There was still snow on the higher mountains and ice on the lakes and rivers. I know it would be so much more beautiful in the summer when everything is green, but I never seem to travel in the summer. Alaskan summers are so amazing, that I never want to leave during that time, so I always experience other cool places at their non-peak times. Oh well. It was still beautiful. 

When we got to the park area, we ran into another expat family that my friends knew, so we teamed up with them for our hike/picnic. They also had visitors from the States, so were out for a day of exploring. The wind was so boisterous that when one of the girls tried out her huge kite, it dive bombed me at one point and I almost suffered an injury, but all was well. It made for a good laugh. 

I could definitely tell we were about 8,000 feet above sea level, as hiking up the hills were a little difficult at times. Need to work on my endurance, especially in higher altitudes, if I want to make that trek through the Himalayans one of these years. :) 

on our way to the mountains

still partially frozen lake

I love pine trees


had no idea that boys were being silly in the background :) 


Kazakh yurts in the valley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)