Saturday, December 7, 2013

Last Days in the Tropics

While life in Fiji was slower than my own crazy life at home, I still found plenty to do. Always helps that I had some awesome new friends to spend time with, as well as old friends that I hadn't seen in a while! I enjoyed my time with the Grays. I hope they were as glad to have me as they said they were. I can attest that it is nice to have someone from home visiting. Tho' I couldn't bring the cold, snow and hockey sticks, we still had a good time. And we've made plans for when they come back to Alaska.... I think somehow I owe the boys a steak dinner. Haha

Some things I experienced were brand new experiences.... like standing outside waiting for the bus.... it's bright and sunny and in a matter of seconds, the sky opens up and dumps buckets of rain. So I go back to the house to get an umbrella, head back out to the edge of the driveway.... now with an umbrella, one that leaks a bit, I must say. After waiting in the pouring rain for about 45 minutes I decided to change plans and stay in that day. Sunshine and rain is a good description of Fiji. 

with my leaky umbrella

My final week at the Grays, I got the urge to do some baking. Course, they were pretty okay with that, seeing as they have three older boys who like to eat. :) Bro. R had some misgivings about my cooking abilities, though in the end I think he conceded that I do know how to cook. Pretty sure he just liked to give me a hard time. One day I made cinnamon rolls; a double batch to be exact. That was a lot of rolls! but they were gone within two days. I also made apple pie that week. And gave them a recipe for BBQ sauce (thanks Carpenters) that we made pulled pork with. It had a slight twist to it, so it was more like Fijian Louisiana bbq sauce, but it was still good. 

half of the batch



yum!
 We had Youth Night my last weekend in Suva. Many of the youth I had met previously, but we had others show up also. It was a grand time, I mostly just hung back and watched the excitement. The highlight of the night had to be CG acting like a pig. Ha! And Bro. J did an excellent job teaching and sharing the Gospel. 



yay! their team won!

Saturday we went out visiting. During the time I was out and about that day, I baked in the sun (the most sunburn I had of the entire four weeks) and got drenched in the rain. Like I said, Fiji = sunshine and rain. The morning was sunny and HOT and then the afternoon was cool and rainy. There was impressive thunder and lightning! I LOVE thunder & lightning. But my friend who was with me doesn't have the same appreciation. :) 



I am so grateful I had the great opportunity to travel to Fiji, visit my friends, make new ones and mark another country off my list to visit. :) The people are very friendly and I have many wonderful memories of my time there. Hot climates are not my favorite, but it was an awesome experience. 

last Sunday

my amazing housemates


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)