Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bitterness - Tear Gas

Bitterness is the unresolved violation of my personal sense of justice. 

My pastor has been preaching/teaching much about bitterness recently. The above definition is the one he gave during his sermons. With that description of bitterness it is easy to see why so many people are caught up in the plague of it. We humans are all about fairness. As kids, we quarreled if a sibling got a bigger piece of cake than we did or got to play the computer longer than we did. Fairness - or the sense that my justice is being violated. When we refuse to resolve the act of unfairness, we commit to allowing bitterness into our hearts. The bitterness left alone festers and grows until it consumes our life completely. 

You know, it kind reminds me of tear gas. When bitterness consumes your life, you can't escape from it. Exposure to tear gas changes your life (well temporarily) also. Sneezing becomes an every few minute occurrence, your nose and throat burn, eyes burn and water. No matter what you are doing - cooking/eating dinner, exercising, talking with your family, etc. the effects of tear gas still accompany you. So, is bitterness - one may be able to laugh and joke around, but the effects of the plague still trouble constantly. (and yes, I do know what I'm talking about)

As blood-bought believers of Christ, we are to be dead to self. I no longer live for myself but for Christ. A dead person cannot be offended. I cannot treated unfairly or violated, because I have no sense of justice. I am dead.

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

I challenge you, as I have challenged myself, to live as if I were truly dead. There is no reason to be offended by someone's words or actions. Live for Christ Alone!

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ," Philippians 3:8

Let go of offenses, so you can know Christ more fully. 

1 comment:

  1. I think sometimes the worst "injustice" we can feel is when we have to wait. Faith says, "I believe." Patience says, "Lord I still believe." Romans 8:25

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)