Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Day of Firsts

So have been traveling again. I know, I know, that's nothing new. But I did have a day of firsts recently. Was headed into an unknown town, going to visit an unknown church of all potential new friends who were still unmet at that point. I had anticipated an evening service, but was informed that there was an 3pm service instead. The bus I was to catch from the nearby town wouldn't arrive until 220pm. And public transportation would have taken me almost an hour to reach said church. So....

Figured I could take a taxi.... then I thought, what about Uber? It's no different than a taxi and though there are those skeptics out there who say it's unsafe, I decided to give it a try. At least with Uber, you can track your progress and see where you are at all times on your phone. With a taxi, you are also riding with a stranger, but with no way to tell where you are going. Believe me, I've been in some cabs and wondered where in the world I was being taken. (not knowing the city or having data on your phone can cause you to wonder) 



So I am here to tell you I survived, and I made it to my destination in once piece. And only 3 minutes late instead of 20. And I had a nice chat with my driver, who wasn't even actually from the country I was visiting. 

As for the other first- I've always wanted to try out staying in a hostel. Guess it was just that time. I had a bus out of town early the next morning, so I wanted a place nearby the bus station. Looked at several Airbnb places, then checked hostels. Found one less than a 5 minute walk from the station and it was only $18 for the night. 

Yes, I stayed in a hostel. And I did have a roommate. But she was a nice German University student. It was a little run down and the mattress was a bit lumpy, but the sheets were clean. Just a tad different than the last time I shared a room with a complete stranger (complete stranger means I had absolutely no connection whatsoever, no friend of a friend, etc.)- at least that time, I was in a 5* hotel! 

So again- I survived. And actually got good sleep. Not sure if I'll do it again any time soon, but who knows!?

view from a new friend's house

tiny sink at the hostel

view from the front door of hostel

1 comment:

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)