Tuesday, October 25, 2016

My Italian Family

 About six months ago, I met this crazy Italian family- in Bulgaria no less. It didn't take long for me to love them all.... not sure how they feel about me, ha! But for better or worse, they're stuck with me now. :) Besides my family had already claimed them as family, long before I met them face to face. It was nice to finally get to know them all in person, as I had heard all their names countless times from my family; we had even emailed quite a bit and I talked to them on the phone once or twice. 


After only a few days, it was like we had always known each other... and the adventures began. We played trampoline soccer, worked crossword puzzles, built sand tunnels & castles, ate uh... interesting chocolate at church, and of course... climbed the Varna monument- that my friends, is a story all in itself. My time with them was vastly too short.

building castles and tunnels

by the Black Sea


on the Varna monument

first week with these crazy Italians
So.... after a conversation about our separate travels back to the States, we realized that we flew back in the same US city just a day apart! Not sure who first suggested we meet up again in the States, but that's what we did! And because we did, I got to meet another great family in NJ! Glad the Jersians were okay with a strange girl tagging along with the Italians and bombarding their house! 

While in NJ, I got to swim in a creek for only the 2nd time in my life! Hey, when you're from Alaska, its not a normal summer event. Our creeks are still FREEZING cold even in July! But I got to swim and swing off a rope into the water (a first for me! and I had huge bruises to prove it), kayak (another first) and overall have fun in the warm water. Those couple of days in NJ also included a trip to a National Cemetery on Memorial Day, a birthday party and latenight shenanigans. 

Well, time went on, I came home to Alaska and the Italians began their long journey around the US. Remember that baseball game I flew to Chicago for? Yep, that was the same family. Another awesome (crazy) adventure. 
And then.... last month, I flew down and met up with the Italians once again. This time on the Western side of the US. We drove/explored parts of Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, having fun along the way. We played lots of Uno, Assassin (style of tag), basketball, football, crawled into an mini castle in an awesome Grandpa/Pastor's house and ran through sprinklers in the dark, all bringing volumes of laughter.



scouting out some caves



Snake River - too close to the edge? 
intense Uno game in the back of the Limo
I love families who I can be friends with both the parents and the children. Though sometimes its a bit nebulous as to where I belong exactly.... while in WA, we went to a family's house for dinner. The host announced dinner was ready and then said, "okay, the kids are outside on the patio, the adults in the livingroom and the teens are wherever they want." I got asked which group I belonged in... and frankly sometimes I don't know! :D

2 comments:

  1. Friendships like that are precious! We had a supporting pastor (who we'd never met) bring his wife and daughter to visit this past summer. We had the same experience, complete strangers but now dear friends! It's just wonderful how God can knit hearts together in His family!

    I've read this family's blog! So neat how they are doing furlough in a limo! :-) And I'm in awe of all the kids... makes our five seem like a tiny family :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are doing deputation in a limo? 😂

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)