Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lightning!

"The voice of thy thunder was in the heaven: the lightnings lightened the world: the earth trembled and shook." (Psalm 77:18)

"His lightnings enlightened the world: the earth saw, and trembled." (Psalm 97:4)
I have always loved thunder and lightning. In Alaska, I don't get to see it all that much, not where I live in the Interior. So, when it begins to shower lightning from the sky, I always try to watch. Seeing the magnificent light display in the sky reminds every time of my Lord. He is the One who makes the lightning. To me, it is a symbol of His great power.

This evening, I was outside talking with a friend on the phone, when I noticed the night sky was being lit up every 5-10 seconds. I continued to watch for quite some time. It was far enough away that I couldn't hear any thunder, just saw the lightning.

After a while, my roommate and I decided to go for a little drive. We drove to the other side of town and parked in a large, empty parking lot and sat on my car just watching the sky continue to shine. It was amazing!! The dark, black, cloudy sky would become brilliantly light with just a streak of lightning. Impressive!! I think we sat outside for about an hour just watching God at work.
"And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:" (Matthew 28:2,3)
 Finally we came home and eventually went to bed.... only to get back up later because the storm had moved directly over us. We got up and watched through our livingroom window at more of God's awesome display in the sky. We stayed up till past 1am (I'm still up) watching the amazing lightning. I love lightning! 
and now I love it even more since I read this verse. 
"For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be." (Matthew 24:27)
Just think one day when Jesus comes in the clouds to take us blood bought believers home to heaven, it will be like the lightning, the entire sky will be lit up! Everyone will know He came for us. I can't wait!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Don't leave without saying hi! :)